Tom Mortimer – Runner
Tom Mortimer started running for Stroud AC in 2012 and quickly progressed from 16th in the district to 4th in the South West. Following treatment for an ankle problem Tom was able to run in his first English schools XC race where he finished 104th. After this he slowly climbed to top 5 in the UK for 3000m.
The week after winning the London Mini marathon Tom went on to run 8.24 for 3000m, well below the European Youth Qualifying standard.
Tom’s training & physio
During his first year of running Tom saw Geoff at Five Valleys Physiotherapy with an ankle problem related to growing. In 2016 he suffered an ankle injury. Luke treated Tom through rehabilitation for 4 months, helping him to win the London Mini Marathon and become British road race champion for Under 17s in his first 3 weeks back running!
This XC season Tom has begun to return to full fitness. However, with the level of training he is now able to do he has suffered various ‘niggles’ for which he has seen Jane. Jane has managed to keep Tom training and racing.
Tom’s training is currently focusing on cross country and he is hoping to do more strength and conditioning at the clinic as he believes this will optimise his performance and reduce the risk of injury. Tom is now targeting the National competitions aiming for selection for the World XC championships this March!
- Midlands U20 XC champion 2017.
- South west U20 champion (2nd Senior) 2017.
- Selected for 2 England Cross Country teams in 2017.
- British Road Race/ London Mini Marathon Champion 2016.
- South West Senior 5000m Champion.
- English schools 3rd place XC and 3000m 2015.
- World top 30 u18 3000m 2016
Tom’s 2017 targets
- Top 3 at the national XC championships.
- Make the GB team for the World XC championships.
- Run 3.50 (1500m), 8.00 (3000m) and 14.10 (5000m)