Mollie Courtney – Athlete
Mollie Courtney started athletics at the age of 10 at Cheltenham & County Harriers. Mollie continued to train at Cheltenham and now has progressed through the different levels and reached international level.
Mollie currently competes at an international standard for 2 athletics events, although her current focus is on hurdles. Her personal bests include 13.28 for 100m Hurdles, 8.32 for 60m Hurdles and 1.75m for High jump.
This year has been my most successful year ever, for both the indoor and outdoor athletics season. Due to hard training and determination this year has allowed me to make my mark on the athletics scene and make a statement on the national Power of 10 Rankings, resulting in me being the 5th fastest ever Under 20 hurdler in the UK for both indoor and outdoor hurdles.
- All-time U20W 60m hurdles. Rank 5th – Joint with Sally Gunnell
- All-time U20W 100m hurdles. Rank 5th. (between Jess Ennis-Hill 4th & Sally Gunnell 6th)
I started of the year with 2 goals, to defend my indoor national title, and to make the GB Junior team for the World Championships. Which i achieved.
My indoor season early on in the year set me up for outdoors. My win at nationals made my chance of getting the hard qualifying time of 13.50 for World Champs more believable. I also gained much experience running against the countries fastest in Senior British Champs.
I kicked of my season with a few low key events. My first major competition was the Loughborough International in May, this was my first GB selection of the year, 2nd ever. Here I unexpectedly won in a world junior qualifying with a massive personal best of 13.32.
I then attended national championships in June and despite hitting a hurdle and losing my balance and first position, I gained a silver medal and a day later claimed a selection for the World Championships and the Mannheim Junior Gala.
The Mannheim Junior Gala in Germany was my first international competition and a chance to comeback from nationals. I placed second overall.
In July I accompanied the GB Junior team to Bydgoszcz in Poland, here I set a pb of 13.28 in the heat, narrowly missing out on the final by once place after my semi final run. I then returned home and competed in the senior England champs where I ran one of my fastest times ever of 13.31 to place second.
To finish of my season I competed again for GB in my last Junior Competition ever in the Manchester International, where I placed 2nd to end a very long season.
Throughout my season I competed in club competitions for my higher claim club Swansea Harriers and equalled my high jump personal best of 1.75 alongside hurdling and relay.
This year has been difficult mental for me, I have also struggled with falling over hurdles which I have never experience before. But overall I managed to end up ranked top 10 in the world and 5th in Europe for 100m Hurdles.
Mollie’s training & physio
I came to 5 valleys physio about a year ago with a recurring hamstring problem. In 2015 it caused me massive troubles and sometimes forcing me to pull up in races, the pain never allowed me to train to my full ability and also stopped me from doing beneficial exercises.
I had seen some physio’s before that had failed to help my problem. After seeing Geoff he identified my hamstring weakness in which i was able to do specific strength and conditioning exercises for my hamstring. Now with strong hamstrings I am going the gym twice a week and can do all the sprint sessions to my full capability. This correction allowed me to train harder and more frequently which contributes a lot to my success.
Recently this year i have been having issues with back stiffness causing some more hamstring tightness. I have worked with Geoff and sports massage therapist Bruce to manage this issue throughout competition season so it has not hindered my performance. I am now working with the physio to resolve this problem.
- 2016 – Under 20’s 60m Hurdles – Rank 1
- 2016 – 60m Hurdles – Rank 7
- 2016 – Under 20’s 100m Hurdles – Rank 2
- 2016 – 100m Hurdles – Rank 6
- 2016 – Under 20’s High jump – Rank equal 8th
- 2016 – England indoor 60m Hurdles – National Champion
- 2016 – England 100m Hurdles – Silver Medalist
- 2016 – England Senior 100m Hurdles – silver medalist
- 2016 – Manchester International – Silver medalist
- 2015 – English Schools 100m Hurdles – Silver Medalist
- 2015 – England indoor 60m Hurdles National Champion
- 2015 – England 100m Hurdles – Silver Medalist
- 2015 – England Senior Highjump – silver medalist
- 2014 – English Schools 100m Hurdles – National Champion (At my first year at a new distance and height)
- 2013 -English Schools 80m Hurdles – Silver Medalist
- Attended 3 Senior British Championships, finalist in 2
- 3 Welsh International meeting medals
Mollie’s 2017 targets
Looking onwards i hope to make my transition from a junior athlete to an Under 23/Senior athlete smooth and successful, which is difficult for many athletes. I am determined to ensure i get faster year on year with a smooth progression.
In 2017 my aim is to improve my hurdling and speed to allow me to be even faster. I aim to make the Great Britain Under 23 European Championships team and a Commonwealth Games qualification.
- Mollie is British Indoor Champion – Mollie Courtney was a jubilant winner in the women’s 60mH as she produced a personal best when it mattered
- 2016 has been a great year for Mollie Courtney – Mollie’s best year to date has seen her achieve a great deal from PBs & Junior GB team selection to national & international competitions. She continues to grow from strength to strength.