Gwen Kinsey – Triathlete
Training for triathlon is very tough to fit in, especially when you have to work and look after a young family. I fit sessions in around work and family life so I often train alone. I am highly motivated and competitive so this is not a problem.
I have regular running sessions as part of Chris Frapwell’s group with Stroud Athletics club. There are a growing number of multi-disciplined athletes in the group so we benefit from sharing advice and pushing each other on in training sessions.
Gwen’s training & physio
I am mainly concentrating on my bike as this is my weakest phase but my time is best spent on this as it represents 55% of the overall race. My run and swim are strong as I can rely on my Modern Pentathlon background although it was over 15 years ago since I last competed at elite Modern Pentathlon level.
My ongoing osteoarthritis in both big toes is something Geoff has treated me for. He has showed me exercises to minimise the problem. Bruce gives me regular massage to loosen off my body between hard training sessions and races. Without this I would definitely succumb to injury more often.
- 2017 – European Sprint Triathlon Champs – Dusseldorf – Bronze
- 2017 – Swansea Triathon – Winner
- 2017 – European Sprint Duathlon – Soria – Gold Medal
- 2016 – European Sprint Triathlon – Champion age-group
- 2016 – World Sprint Duathlon – Champion age-group
- 2016 – World Sprint Duathlon – silver medallist as member of elite team
- 2016 – Cotswold Triathlon – 2nd
- 2016 – Chateau de Chantilly Triathlon – 3rd female 1st in age-group
- 2015 – European Sprint Triathlon – Champion age-group
- 2015 – Liverpool Sprint Triathlon – 2nd overall and 2nd age-group
- 2015 – Cardiff Sprint Triathlon – 2nd overall and 1st age-group
- 2015 – Cotswold Women’s Only Triathlon – 1st overall and 1st age-group
- 2015 – Bala Standard Distance Triathlon – 15th overall and 3rd age-group
- 2003-2005 – World Biathle Championships – medallist
- 2000 – World Modern Pentathlon Relay Championships – 2nd
- 1999 – World Modern Pentathlon Relay Championships – 1st
Gwen’s 2017 targets
- Medal at European Sprint Duathlon Championships – Soria, Spain (30 April)
- To win European Sprint Triathlon Championships – Dusseldorf, Germany (25 June)
- To win World Sprint Triathlon Championships – Rotterdam, The Netherlands (14-17 September)
- Gwen has strong result in Dusseldorf – Although a third consecutive Gold was on the cards Gwen Kinsey was very happy with her bronze in an exceptional field
- Gwen reigned in Spain – Gwen Kinsey reigned in Spain at the European Duathlon Championships.
- Stroud ladies finish 4th in Midlands Road Relays – Well done to the Stroud Athletic club ladies team. Stroud ladies finish 4th in a competitive field of 60 teams at the Midland Road Relays
- Gwen battled appalling conditions for success – The weather was horrendous at the Oulton Park Duathlon. Gwen battled the appalling conditions of sleet, wind, rain, cold and hyperthermia!!!